Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cabled Headband notes

Recently I completed the "Cabled Headband" from the awesome One Skein Wonders by Judith Durant.  For someone that does not have that much experience with cables, I was a little lost in how the pattern should progress.


Here are my notes on this project:
  •  Here is what it looked like once all of the increases are through.  As the picture below shows, I had a lot of trouble with provisional method cast on.  I would have preferred a better introduction for this pattern when it comes to the transition between provisional cast on and starting the pattern as written.  I recommend that you add a row between casting on and starting row one.  I basically copied Row 1 by knitting the first three, then continuing the rest of Row 1 as written, and then continuing the rows as the pattern states, starting at Row 1 again.


  • Be sure to keep track of all of the eight rows in the cable pattern to make the pattern look uniform.

  • The cable pattern in this pattern is quite easy, and is great for a beginner as it isn't a difficult cable pattern.  It's the only type of cable in this project, which makes it easy to memorize.  During the increases every two inches, be sure to keep track of the number of stitches between the first three slipped stitches and the middle cable stitches.

This is the point where the first three stitches in the middle are slipped onto the cable needle

The three stitches held to the front, and the next three stitches are knitted.

Then, the three stitches on the cable needle are knitted.
  • During the increases and decrease the occur intermittently through the pattern (see pattern), the average number of rows between these increases and decrease is about thirteen, depending on the thickness of your yarn.
  • I counted sixteen repeats of the cable cross pattern.
  • When I reached the end of the pattern, I did the first two rows of the cable cross pattern, and joined the live stitches that I cast on provisionally (after I removed the craft yarn) with the end of the pattern, creating a continuous cross pattern using the three needle bind off, as recommended in the pattern.

Here is my finished headband:



Because I have a very large head, I decided to stretch out the headband by placing a weight in the widest part of the headband.  I let it sit overnight, and now the headband fits me perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment